I'm a documentary photographer with a keen interest in socially sensitive subjects and issues investigated from an alternative perspective.
These projects are part of a broader investigation I’ve been pursuing. In recent years I’ve covered in 'Touch' about the social consequences of blindness; in '(Un)expected' about the coping process of surviving relatives of suicides, and in 'Shaky Ground' about the urgency of the past (First World War) in the perspective of a sustainably united Europe.
In 2008 I started a 4 year course in documentary photography at St. Joost Art Academy in Breda (the Netherlands).
In 1998 I started my own business, called Bubble (now wiender.com). For years it was considered one of the most creative web design agencies in Belgium.
In 1987 I graduated as a graphic designer at St. Lucas college, Ghent (Belgium) with high distinction. Immediately after graduation I started working as an art director for various advertising agencies in Brussels.
- (Un)expected was selected for 'Photobook Belge', the reference work on Belgian photo books from 1854 to present. A publication and exhibition by FOMU (Photo Museum Antwerp)
- Shaky Ground published by The Eriskay Connection in an edition of 700 copies
- Exhibiting my photo project 'Shaky ground' at 'mixing / Memory and desire'. Together with work of six other photographers (Max Pinckers, Tom Callemin, Sanne De Wilde, Frederik Buyckx, ...) who made an international breakthrough since their debut at BredaPhoto
- About (Un)expected:
- Longlisted for the Deutsche Börse Photography Foundation Prize 2018
- Winner at Best Photobook of the Year award at PHotoEspaña (2017)
- Silver Medal for the 'Best Book Design from all over the World' 2017 (Stiftung buchkunst)
- (Un)expected has been selected for The Best Dutch Book Design 2016
- Nomination for Media Prize 2016 Werkgroep Verder - dutch only
- mentioned in 6 'Photobook of the Year'-lists: Martin Amis, Laura El-Tantawy, Awoiska van der Molen, Robin Titchener, Josef Chladek, Yumi Goto
- (Un)expected published by The Eriskay Connection in an edition of 650 copies
- Rise nominated for Unseen dummy Award (Amsterdam); Rise is about a
palliative day care unit
- Touch nominated for Dutch Doc Award 2013 (complete jury report)
- Touch exhibited at Tropenmuseum Amsterdam (Netherlands) for Dutch Doc Award, from April 26th until June 9th, 2013, see impression of installation
- Touch nominated at Fotobookfestival Kassel 2013 for best photobook of the previous year
- Graduated at St. Joost Art Academy in Breda (NL) as a documentary photographer, from 2008 - 2012
- Touch published by The Eriskay Connection in an edition of 500 copies
- Touch exhibited at the BredaPhoto international Photo festival that took place for the fifth time in the city center of Breda
- Selected for the Photo Festival at Naarden
- Founder of web design agency bubble (www.wiender.com)
- Worked as an art director in numerous renowned advertising agencies (TBWA, GV/Company, LHHS, McCann Erickson)
- Graduated as Master in graphic design with honors at St. Lucas college (now LUCA School of Arts), Ghent (Belgium)